Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Lemon Curd

I usually end up in a situation where I end up with either extra egg yolks or extra egg whites, and I’m always looking for recipes I can make that will use up whichever part of the egg I have extra of.   I made a white cake the other day, and that left me with extra egg yolks.  I thought about making pudding, but then some fresh lemons caught my eye.  After about 2 seconds of consideration, I immediately decided to make lemon curd instead.

I find lemon curd to be really light and refreshing.  I am sure that I ate more than my fair share before I offered some to my family.  I like my lemon curd on the tart side, so I used less sugar.  But if you would like it more sweet, I would recommend you use the full amount.

What you need:

4 -6 Tbs sugar (I like my lemon curd to be tart, but if you prefer it more sweet, add the full amount)
Zest of 1 lemon
3 large egg yolks*
½ c lemon juice
4 Tbs unsalted butter, cut into pieces


What you do:


Combine the first four ingredients in a saucepan and heat over medium-high heat, stirring constantly.  Boil the mixture for one minute, stirring constantly.  Then remove the pot from the heat and add the butter, one piece at a time, incorporating each slice before adding the next one. 


*Most recipes for lemon curd call for the entire egg, and then require you to strain the mixture.  That is because the egg whites and the yolks cook at different times, which can lead to little curdled bits.  Because we are using just the yolks, we can bypass the straining step.

Transfer the curd to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap, making sure the wrap comes into contact with the entire surface of the curd.  Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until set. 



Serve on top of toast, with scones, muffins, or pancakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment