Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Cookie Dough Granola


I need to apologize.

First, I need to apologize for the quality of my photos.  The cord I brought with me to transfer my pictures from my camera onto my computer doesn’t actually fit into my computer, so I have to resort to using my iPod.

Second, for early morning classes.  I have a 7:30 am class 3-4 times a week, so I know the pain of them all too well.  Is it even legal for college students to be up that early?

Although I don’t have to power to convince the professor to make the class start an hour later, I can at least offer something to help those early mornings a little more bearable.


Here’s what you’ll need:

1 14 oz. package of refrigerated cookie dough.  I used chocolate chip, but peanut butter would be equally delicious
2 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
2/3 cup mix-ins (optional): peanuts, walnuts, coconut, etc.

Preheat the oven to 325°F.  Line a jellyroll or a 9x13 pan with aluminum foil (Note: I made half of this granola without lining the pan with foil and it worked equally well.  It just baked faster than the other batch).


Mix together the cookie dough, oatmeal, and mix-ins in a big bowl.  I find it easier (and much more fun) if you use your hands for this.  Make sure they are mixed well- you don’t want a whole cup of loose oatmeal sitting in the bottom of your bowl.

Crumble the mixture into your prepared pan and then bake it for 25-30 minutes, taking it out and stirring it every 10 minutes or so.   When the granola is a golden brown, you know it’s done! Notice the difference in color between the last picture and this one:


Lift the foil out of the pan and set it on the counter to let the granola cool. 

The best part about this recipe is that it tastes just like a cookie, but we can mix it with yogurt and call it breakfast.  You can also enjoy it by the handful or atop a big scoop of ice cream.


Here is to better early mornings!

No comments:

Post a Comment